Saturday, September 10, 2011

A Wise Choice: the wisdom teeth removal edition

I decided that it was time to add some spice to my life, oral surgery style.

So I had my wisdom teeth sliced from the confines of my mouth.

The lovely Katie C accompanied me as my "over 18, responsible adult" since my dad was still in Alaska on his moose-less moose hunting trip (boooooo!) 

When the doctor was about to put the I.V. in, I told him I don't do I.V.s well and that I usually get close to passing out.  He told me that it was ok because he doesn't do them well either, so he is really good at giving them. 

Now, now.

Apparently they don't teach you in Med School that its not a matter of pain when it comes to people with needle/IV freak outs. I barely felt it go in. He was right, he can give them very well... but then comes the racing heart. Apparently I held my breath while he was putting in the I.V. and turns out that isn't so good. So then come the sweats and the fidgeting, heart hurting, room spinning.  

The last thing I remember is hearing him say "Now, I'm going to give you something to make you feel better..."

And apparently before they woke me up, Katie had the opportunity to take this lovely shot... 

Consider me posting this pic, my random act of kindness for the day.

  The next thing I know, I can hear the doc telling Katie that I fainted before they put me under! I had no idea (duh)!  That's the first time I've ever passed out.  Gotta check that off the bucket list!  Katie and the Doc walked me out to the car and we came back home.  I then slept...for a while.  :o) Post- Surgery Katie is one of the easiest versions of me to get on board with... it involves a lot of sleeping, acceptable whining, couch lying, movie watching, and mushy food eating. Check. 

Katie proved to be an excellent caretaker.  She even partook in some of the optional nap times! Talk about sympathy pain!  She was so sweet to pick-up my drugs at target, and even some frozen peas to ice down my cheeks!  :o) After nap number 2...or 7... Katie was kind enough to snap these photos of me and my fluffy face. 

Random act of kindness #2

Random act of kindness #3

Yes there are peas on my face.

Yes I'm cuddling with a stuffed animal.

Enjoy.

So Katie and I spent mostly all the day in the dark fortress that is the gameroom of my house.  Apparently it didn't occur to us to open the blinds during the day, reinforcing the 17 naps.

After "dinner" (an 8 oz. bottle of vanilla Ensure) we rented "Hanna" on Video on Demand.  We were reeled in by the 10 minute "freeview"... it started out strong, and got weirder and weirder.  I liked it.  It was just weird. But good.  Good and weird. Weird and good. 

By then it was around mid-night-ish, so we got me drugged up and into bed.  It took me a while to fall asleep since I was a bit nauseated from the druggin' on a not so full stomach.  But eventually I was out, I woke up circa de 7:20 this morning, just in time to hear my dad walk in the door from the airport!  Then I passed out again for 3 more hours!  #noshame

When I emerged from my fortress I took a long walk down the stairs, through the kitchen and plopped on to the couch! Aah yes, to relax after a long nights rest.  I earned it. 

Starting today I have to rinse my mouth every three hours with salt water, and can start carefully brushing my teeth.  Somewhere around movie # 3 today, I found myself napping through "The Prince and Me."  I was in that semi-sleep state when I was half dreaming.  So in my dream I was hearing what was actually on T.V. (mostly) but with my own images.  I was hearing the end of the movie, when he comes back to get the girl, but in my brain's own setting.  Oh, and I was the girl.  So I remember be kept kissing me and I would get grossed out because he had really bad breath.  This happened like 5 times before I woke and realized that it was my own terribly disgusting breath that had been infiltrating my dream. Classic.  And classy.  I laughed out loud at myself.

Post- breath dreaming, my dad arrived with some soft foods from Boston Market. He brought me mashed potatoes, creamed spinach, mac and cheese and sweet potatoes.  Word to the wise- the spinach and sweet potatoes go down the easiest! ( And are the tastiest)  So I snack timed.  mmm...

Dad went back to the store and roommate Katie was shopping, so I took this opportunity to shower.  I figured I could only pull off the post-surgery grease ball look for so long, and I didn't want to push it.  Shower's make everything a little better.

To sum up the rest of the night:
Lounging
Pinteresting
Movie-ing
Alaska State Troopering
Michigan Vs. Notre Dame-ing (included some nappage)
SNL-ing
Face peas-ing
Snacking
Anti-bioticing
And the 20 teeth brushing and saline solutioning.

All in all, I call that a pretty productive day.  I plan to reenact most of it tomorrow, with the addition of Mass-ing.

So, that's my wisdom teeth update.  Super thrilling and only semi- painful.  I am milking this for all its worth. 


Sidenote:  On thursday I ran a bunch of pre-wisdom teeth removal errands.  One of them include getting new passport photos taken for my visa for china in october. I had the option of taking them thursday, with my hair up and two day old makeup OR getting them taken after my wisdom teeth were sawed from my face and possibly facing puffy face photos.

So I went to Walgreens and after the lady set up the screen, I stood in front of it and smiled for my close up.  She looked at me, cocked her head sideways and as sweetly as she could, asked if I wanted to look in the mirror first. 

Confidence boosted. Ha. 

I told her no and explained that it wasn't actually for my passport, so it would only be on my visa for one trip and I didn't really care blah blah blah.

"are you sure? sometimes people get upset afterwards..."

Confidence rising. 

So she took the picture. 

Sidenote^2:  You aren't allowed to smile anymore in passport photos, apparently they want everyone to look how they will after an 8 hour flight. 

So wait no longer and behold : KTJ- the swedish runnaway version:



xo

2 comments:

  1. haha I liked this one! Also you need to teach me how to make over my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are so funny that i can only read your blog in private now since i laugh out loud on so many occasions.

    your blog is not the best i'm-pretending-to-work-but-am-actually-taking-a-mini-work-break (since i work soooo hard haha) since laughter is not conducive to normal work activities.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete