Thursday, February 23, 2012

Let in the love

I have a homeless friend who sits on the median at the first intersection on my way home from work.  There are two turn lanes so I'm not always right next to him and he's not always there.  The first time I gave him a hope bag, he cried.  So did I.

Its been a few months since I've said hi to him, to yesterday when I pulled up to the stop light I rolled down my window.  I was on the phone waiting to leave a voice-mail and he looked hesitant to walk over to my car.  He is slightly disabled and has a hard time moving around.   I put my phone down and pulled some cash out of my wallet and handed it to him.  He's told me it was his birthday and pointed to a sign lying on the ground that read "Happy Birthday Terryell."  I smiled and wished him a happy birthday.  Then he told me that earlier in the day he had walked to La Madeline, which is the closest restaurant to his corner and asked for a cup of water.  The manager refused him.  I understand that there has to be some sort of protocol when in the restaurant business regarding homeless people.  I guess.  I don't know.  But then Terryell told me that he used to go there regularly and buy food.  He told me he would never go there and spend money again. 

My heart broke yesterday.  I know it sounds terrible, but I don't guess I had ever given thought to the homeless having birthdays.  Or being refused a service that we take for granted. 

The light turned green and I drove away.  A car in the lane next to me pulled up and gave me a very stern, almost angry look.  I don't know what he was trying to communicate.  But I don't think it was encouraging. 

Happy Birthday Terryell!

No comments:

Post a Comment